Saturday 18 December 2010

Being oblivious never worked out so good

I don’t normally divulge in things about my private life on this blog. But I promise it will be a little bit more interesting than telling you about the outfit I put together today.

The desire to travel and the refusal to throw parties for oneself is a bad combination, especially for friends who like farewell parties (or any parties for that matter).

I have no idea where I it came from, but I have this weird mentality where I feel uncomfortable throwing events in my own honour. Whatever it was that convinced Egyptian kings to have pyramids built in the name of their own self-glorification – well, I don’t have any of it. Zilch. Nada.

I can’t even muster buying real jewellery for myself without feeling lame. I’d rather they came freely from other people. So while my jewellery count stands at zero, I was recently surprised with a farewell party by my beautiful cousins.

I was expecting to have lunch in the city with my cousins, my brother and his girlfriend followed by dinner and clubbing with a friend.

Moments after arriving in the city however, an apologetic message from my friend broke that “some hectic family shit just came up,” and that we’d have to postpone our plans to some other time.

Upon meeting up with one cousin, we headed towards George Street where our other cousin was supposedly exchanging some money for his mum. I was lead towards this supposed money exchange (that by the way looked nothing like an office building).

While waiting for the elevator I noticed someone standing uncomfortably close to me. I looked to my side and recognised my boyfriend who was supposed to be at work that day. Turns out they didn’t need him to come in, and decided to hang out with us instead. Funny thing is, my boyfriend was apparently walking alongside us from the moment I met up with my cousin, and on numerous occasions walked straight past him without noticing. His pretending to be a stranger invading my personal space entertainingly turned my snobbery into a practical joke, especially for my cousins who saw the whole thing.

We got off on the 13th floor, and I made it all the way inside a hotel apartment without suspecting a thing.
“Where’s Raynald [our cousin], and why are we here?”
“This is for you, it’s for your farewell. Surprise!”
With tears in my eyes I hugged them one by one.

We had dinner on our balcony with a view, and another cousin arrived just in time to join us.

Later that night, my very friend who cancelled dinner because of family issues turned up at the hotel. They were all in on it.

After that, two more cousins arrived. (Yes, I have more cousins than the average bear).

It was a memorable night to say the least. I love them so much, and I thank God for blessing me with such beautiful friends and family. I’m going to miss them.

Thank you so much: Nicolo (party planner and life saver), EJ (esp. for eating the shy piece), Charisse (esp. for your camera when mine died), Chester, Raynald (esp. for your credit card that paid for the hotel), Sunita, Brieanna, Geraldine (esp. for your towels) and Jason.








Love, Noeline
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment