Saturday 30 April 2011

What are butterflies in your stomach?

The first time it happened I was young, and all he had to do was put his arm around my waist. I felt dizzy in my stomach, but a nice kind of dizzy. Until then I never really knew what it meant to have butterflies in your stomach.

To this day, I still don’t know how to describe it with justice. It feels like melting. It’s like a feelings type of orgasm.

“Kiss me”
“No”
“Just kiss me, and if you don’t feel anything, I’ll leave you alone”

So we kissed, and I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t get the butterflies.

I’ve dated a few guys in my life, and the butterflies came with some, not with others. Since then, I’ve taken them as a physiological response to my subconscious. i.e. That despite what I tell myself, if I get the butterflies it’s because deep down inside I really (really, really, really) like him.

But that’s just me. It appears that people also get the butterflies in their stomach when they feel nervous.

“I get it more when I am nervous. Like before a big sports game. When I used to swim competitively I used to get it all the time.”

So whether you get them in the company of someone you like or during moments of nervousness – both reactions are a form of stress. When we’re stressed blood is redistributed towards our most important organs like the heart and muscles so as to give them more oxygen. But in order to do so, blood needs to move away from the less important organs like the stomach, and this is what gives off that butterfly feeling.

For those who don’t know, I’m single again for the first time in more than five years. I’m scared that all the failed relationships behind me, combined with the scientific knowledge of what butterflies actually are might cause me never to feel them again.

Ya veremos (We’ll see).

Love, Noeline
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment