Monday 15 August 2005

Road Trip

To all my friends: the next door neighbours, residents of far away lands, and even the folks across the seven seas - this goes out to you...

In some aspects, I know my best friends more so than they do themselves. I go through what they go through - emotionally. Our bond causes me to feel down when they're upset and over the moon when they're great.

I don't try to be interested, I don't pretend to care, I don't force myself into stealing a taste of their plateful of surging emotions; it's all habitual.

When they're in like/lust/love I sense in their tone, feel through their words and see through their smile - the joys of liking/lusting/loving someone. They're things I experience second hand, but are devoured together.

Likewise, when they're hearbroken we indulge ourselves into non-stop bitching sessions; like sharing a box of chocolates after a hard day. When they're hurt it's like I myself went through the same situation.

That's what friendship does to you. With a best friend, it's like living a double life. We learn from their mistakes, and they learn from ours. We give advice based upon, if given the chance, we were to wear their shoes the following day.

It's like having our petrol price halved as the two of us set for the commonly undertaken road trip to self discovery. Where we'll end up no one knows. We find we've got company. Someone to take over when we're losing sense of direction. Someone to shove reality in our faces when pondering the impossible, those misleading detours. Someone to state the obvious when our tendancy to think too hard causes us to scamper right past the signs. Someone whose conversation is music to our ears when the damn radio has broken down. They're our jumpstart when we're all and ready to surrender to the forces of dead ends. They nag us into chucking a U'ie (U-turn) and take an alternative route. At the end of the day, all is done together.

For some people modes of transportation for this trip is a fast, sophisticated two seated convertible, where two is company and three is a crowd. For others it's a steady paced double decker bus where more is definitely merrier.

We're all in the same race, or should I say, we're all driving on the same road; driven towards finding love, finding truth, finding ourselves, finding the meaning of life. Make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment