Friday 30 December 2011

Girl Interr--

X: Are you okay? Why aren't you talking?
Me: Well, funny thing is that --
X: Oh my god, behind you! What a cute dog! My best friend from primary school had this dog that...
[Cue Noeline: leave stage]

There are some girls whose voices have the power to shut everyone else the fuck up. Even when what they have to say is completely banal. It's like Miss Popular came and sat down at the loser table and everyone is so amazed she ever gave them the time of day that no one notices that a girl like me has been interrupted, spoken over, or has stopped and started her sentence a few awkward times too many. Everyone will walk away knowing nothing about my life or my opinions - but we'll all be well informed about said girl's boredom in class, how her sister-in-law found ten bucks yesterday and the dress she really really wants to get online.

This is why I don't do well in conversations that involve, well, more than one other person. I think it's also why I write. No one can stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment