Monday 12 September 2011

Fame or Fortune?

"If you could be either rich or famous, which one would you rather be?" asked my friend rather suddenly.

"Famous," I decided. Because for me, fame is a form of immortality. You live for as long as someone remembers you.

Imagine if everything you ever thought or did was reduced to nothing. Like you never existed.

This very fear of being forgotten has borne some of the biggest monuments known to mankind. Pyramids. Palaces. Cathedrals. Statues. The bigger the better, because the more people see it, the more they'll be reminded, and the less they'll forget.

But without any slaves under my power or a royal bloodline behind me, I'd love to be remembered for my writing. I'd love knowing that centuries from now someone would still be reading the very words I put together and stir their thoughts from my grave.

And what about you, dear reader? Fame or fortune?

Love, Noeline
xox

1 comment:

  1. Fortune. I don't want the hassle/lack of privacy of fame and I work hard to create memorable moments for those I care about.

    ReplyDelete