Thursday 28 July 2011

The politics of the lid

During my first week in Spain, a friend who didn't want to leave her bed asked me to go out and get her a hot tea, take away. "Un te para llevar, por favor," I said. They look confused.

What I got in return was a plastic cup of tea, the top covered in foil. Turns out it wasn't my Spanish, it was asking for tea 'take away' that took them aback.

Thinking I'd try my luck in a big city such as Barcelona, I asked for a pasta 'take away.' Again, I got a container with a flimsy piece of foil wrapped over the top. Needless to say the sauce would have spilled everywhere had my friends and I not decided to sit on a park bench nearby.

Who needs lids when you're in a country that actually sits down and appreciates their
food? Lids are for countries with worker bees who work to live and live to work. Australia, I'm looking at you.

Love, Noeline
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment