Friday 29 April 2011

Cuantos idiomas hablas?

Facebook wants to know how many languages I speak, but I don’t know how to answer that.

I was born in Australia but both my parents are from the Philippines, so Tagalog was my first language.

But then I went to preschool and after three months, I’ve been speaking English ever since.

I can still understand Tagalog but can only reply in English.

I can also understand Ilocano which is a dialect of the province in the Philippines where my mum is from. I can also only reply to that in English.

With that said, I can’t distinguish between Tagalog and Ilocano. I just know I’m hearing one or the other.

I studied Spanish for two years in university and am now living in Spain. I know enough to get around, but God rest my soul if someone tried to have a deep and meaningful conversation with me any time soon.

Also, Spain colonised The Philippines, so there are some similarities between Spanish and Tagalog. Like ‘puta,’ jaja.

No comments:

Post a Comment