Thursday 3 March 2011

Logroño: La Mejor Ciudad Para Vivir

It's official. I chose the best city in Spain to live. Not that I needed experts to tell me that, but it's nice to know there's some quantitative support to justify why I love it here so much.

According to LaRioja.com,
El título es el resultado de una encuesta a más de 9.000 ciudadanos de toda España, un análisis estadístico en el que se han tenido en cuenta más de 250 indicadores, la opinión de 95 expertos en gestión urbana y una evaluación directa de méritos.
The title is the result of a survey of more than 9,000 citizens throughout Spain, a statistical analysis which took into account more than 250 indicators, the opinion of 95 experts in urban management and a direct evaluation of merit.

We (oh my god I'm talking like a local) enjoy a high quality of life. The city offers the services of a big city; minus the rush, traffic, high crime rate, snobbishness and price hikes.

For better or worse, people are starting to take notice of this once humble city.

Today my substitute Spanish teacher revealed that there is an increasing number of people migrating and immigrating to Logroño. Just 5-10 years ago, international students snubbed Logroño for bigger towns like Madrid and Barcelona. Now we're flocking in. The commercial shopping centre here called "Berceo" (which houses such brands as Zara, H&M, El Corte Ingles) didn't exist until 2003. To this day, the closest McDonalds is a bus ride away, and there is no KFC.

I hope it never loses it's character. I want to bring my kids here one day, and show them where their mama lived when she was 21. I want to bore them with stories about the club where everyone got drunk off chupitos every Thursday night, the place where I did my groceries, and the street called Calle Laurel that served amazing pinchos.

Love, Noeline
xox

Logroño: The best city to live

No comments:

Post a Comment