Sunday 28 June 2009

The Social Detox Diet

A couple of weeks ago I decided to call it quits with my old mobile phone provider – and with it came the sacrifice of those catchy digits I grew to love.

So why the change? Well, conditions for free chat time was constantly changing. Each amendment left me more and more short-changed than the last.

Then came the time for what is probably the third most grand announcement one will ever make in their lifetime “I HAVE A NEW NUMBER!” (after “I’M GETTING MARRIED!” AND “I’M HAVING A BABY!”).

But I decided not to. I realised that, just like the mobile phone provider, the people in that sim card stopped being beneficial to me. It’s not that I only associate with people whom I can use, it’s just that we stopped bringing out the best in each other. It’s not that I doubt my friendship with them was once great and wonderful, but that we’ve both changed.

According to Lifehack
“sometimes in life, it is necessary to let go of people that no longer serve as a support, but instead lead to stress and to problematic situations commonly referred to as “drama”. It is a hard truth to accept that not all the people that come into our lives are meant to stay.”
Though I’m not recommending that everyone should change their mobile numbers, there’s a host of other (braver) ways of breaking up with friends.

First, make a list containing why you think you shouldn’t be friends with this person anymore. According to wikiHow, common reasons include:
- [Taking] advantage of your good nature: is possessive, bullies, manipulates or makes you feel guilty
- One friend gets into habits that you don't agree with
- Your friend is only concerned with him/her self, and never pauses to think about anyone else
- S/he leans on you, but can't take the time to help you with your problems
- Your 'friend' says belittling/insulting things to or about you

Writing things down clears the head and can either (1) make you realise you’re overreacting, or (2) it might confirm your decision to break up with that person. If the latter prevails - spend less time with them. “Cut your conversations a little shorter, or mak[e] yourself less available to hang out… [and] don't agree to plans” (wikiHow).

Then comes the hard part, the part that most of us try to avoid: talk to them about it. However, “sending a letter or an e-mail might spare your friend some embarrassment, and save you the face-to-face awkwardness [but] it can also make you look… wimpy and weak” (wikiHow). It clears misconceptions on both sides about what went wrong, instead of gossiping to and involving mutual friends.

So what if you’re on the receiving end of the break-up? According to Dinorah Blackman, “Take the time to seriously and honestly evaluate your attitude. Maybe you need to work on some unattractive aspect of your personality or maybe you just have the bad habit of surrounding yourself with people that do not really appreciate you.”

What do you think? Share your thoughts and experiences by commenting – and remember that you can do so anonymously!

Love, Noeline
xox

4 comments:

  1. hey noeline.

    i ended up getting a new phone etc etc and i wastrying to decide what numbers were needed and ones that werent. what came down to it is how often i called them and who would help me out in situations.

    then a few weeks later my phone stuffed up on me and i had to send the phone back to the store. i lost all my numbers that i chose to keep.

    from then on i was forced to start my list all over again. now i just keep the numbers i really do use and are important to me and who ever calls on a number not listed i just pickup and talk to them as if i have their number, then after the phone call i would save it.

    i dont think i was really necessary to tell certain people your going to delete their number or end a friendship. sometimes you just drift at both parties know it.

    =D
    p.s please write some more. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. "maybe you just have the bad habit of surrounding yourself with people that do not really appreciate you" - I like that. I'd like to think this was my reason :P

    But I believe that people serve a purpose in your life, ever wonder why you have a friend that you can only trust but can't have fun with, and maybe you have a friend that you can laugh with but never trust... and sometimes when these friends or strangers fulfill that purpose there is no reason left for them to continue being a part of your life, even though they will always be a big part of your history.

    It's happened so many times to me and it seems to keep happening (with less close friends). I haven't figured it out yet, but when I look back I can see that if it weren't for them (no matter how crueld they may have been) other positive events in my life would've never flourished.

    It's harder with your closest friends but change is good and nothing stays the same forever!
    Nice Blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something like this HAS happened to me actually. It was completely unexpected too but I guess that's because I was the victim? LOL. Anyway, two girls in our group had decided to leave the group so they sent the rest of us an email telling us they didn't like us and just insulting us and whatevs. It was before school was about to resume too, so after some of us trying to contact them it kind of just fell apart. It was mad awkward going back to school.

    Also, once a friend who I had drifted from sent an email to me a while later with something related to this, also to what that anonymous commenter wrote above. Something like... friends are here for a reason, a season or for life. It's true when you think about it, guess its a bit more provoking when it's said in a poetic kind of way. :D

    ReplyDelete