Wednesday 7 December 2005

Don't blame it on the sunshine

My life recently..

My much loved Auntie Gloria and Uncle Jeff touched Australian ground for their month long holiday from the United States. Auntie Gloria is the coolest auntie of the bunch, boasting her iPod – comprising of tunes from the soulful Joss Stone and the super kawaii Gwen Stefani. Uncle Jeff has the warmest eyes I've ever seen; like gazing into an unopened book of wisdom.

Their arrival gives the relatives an excuse to do a little sight seeing them selves. I was fortunate to tag along on one of their sight seeing days.

It was then that I discovered there was more to Bondi Beach than the surf and sand. If you took the time to notice there were footpaths that traced along the coast, and on foot you would find spectacular views that are more than capable of taking your breath away.

I wondered to myself what it was that people thought about as they gazed out into the seemingly endless expanse of ocean. Were they gambling against odds their chances of developing skin cancer as they laid about sun tanning? Most probably not. Were they missing a loved one? Were they pondering the meaning of life? Were they retreating to a place of solace hoping the sea would wash away their troubles?

I know this may sound nerdy but there were little caves formed in the rocks, so far below the surface it went against your imagination to believe the water level was that high, millions of years ago.

We had Hungry Jack's for lunch. Even though I didn't pay for it, I couldn't help feeling odd to think I used to get bags of it for free. After that we had some lip smacking ice cream. Words just can't explain, but it was good!

As if catering to my wishes, we headed off to the art display of UNSW. I love art to bits, but if there's one thing I hate about being in an art gallery: it's that you can't stay in there forever. It's amazing the things a paintbrush and a little imagination can concoct.

Formal was five days ago, memories still as vivid as ever. Everyone looked fabulous. With little expectations, I made plenty of room for surprise. It wasn't great, but it was, nonetheless better than I expected – and that I'm thankful for.

YES, the food was crap and the music was craptacular, but it's the friends that can turn any situation around. It was a night of Kodak moments and lots of dancing.

♫ Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the boogie! ♫

Yesterday was quite eventful. Kristine, Kathreen, Frances, Carmela and I were so close to purchasing concert tickets to The Backstreet Boys, had it not been for the broken ticket printing machine. It didn't help that all the remaining seats were situated at the back, and our height wouldn't have balanced that set-back.

So instead we headed off for a day of shopping.

A pat on the back to Frances who gave into my friendly peer pressure which caused her to blow her well earned dosh. Thanks to me that convenient yet flashy handbag, black jeans, shorts and bikini are now hers, and not admired from a distant memory like they would be, had it not been for me.

I bought myself black three quarter jeans, a trinket badge and vest.

Here's a little segment of our day...
Two pigeons lay about on the grass of Macquarie Street Mall in a public display of affection.
Everyone: Ewwwwwwwww! Look at the pigeons.
AJ: Leave them alone. They're just making eggs.
Noeline: What?! Do birds lay eggs?
Carmela: OH MY GOSH! You did not just say that.
Everyone (except Noeline): laughs
Kristine: Noeline, what do you think nests are for?
Noeline: Ohhh yeah! Comes to a ground breaking realisation.

After a satisfying session of retail therapy, the remainder of the day was spent at Awards Night. Congratulations to everyone who received an award. I myself received the Academic Achievement Award for Visual Art, Outstanding Contribution to the College Chior and funnily enough - Outstanding Class Contribution in PDHPE. How I managed to get that when I'm absent most sport lessons and suck when I'm there remains a mystery to me. Oh well, a smile and a half from me.

I've ascertained one of life's hidden little pleasures. Put a twist to those milk and cookies and try cholate milk with Hershey's caramel chocolate. It's to die for.

I was watching Oprah today. They were promoting awareness of child sex slavery. If you think it's ludicrous that twelve year old girls are being sold off as sex slaves by their family, try grasping the concept of seven. These girls hadn't even hit puberty yet.

Concentrated in south Asian countries, it is communal belief that having sex with a young girl will bless the male with strength and well being.

Virgins are of high demand. The younger the girl the higher the price. But is ten dollars for oral sex worth defaming the respect, spirit and self worth of a young girl? I most certainly think not.

But get this: European tourists are the top customers of such a service. There is little hope when police and judges are easily blackmailed in releasing those undoubtedly guilty of inhumane offence.

Where's the justice when fifty dollars can buy a man out of years, possibly a lifetime in prison. Where's the justice when fifty dollars can grant these men a lifetime to recommit crimes of child sex slavery.

It made my realise a little bit more how lucky I was. Hopefully you do too.

Shout outs to my G.F.A. (pronounced geh-fa meaning Ghetto Farm Animals) girls! Featuring Frances the pig, Danica the horse, Carmela the dog and Noeline the slut. You've all been so good to me.
A happy birthday to my Westie gangster Kathreen who turns sweet 16 today.

A heartfelt lojevano hug to Vii who is holidaying in the Philippines, I miss you!

Toys: you're a barrel of laughs! Thankyou for every single smile and laugh you've given me over the past two months. It's just too bad that I'm so much more mature and intellectually advanced than you. The scoreboard says it all. 16-30. And that's the way I like it!

♫ We've had such a great time in these past two months
I've never laughed so much in my life
It's been all about us...♫

I've decided upon my New Years resolutions for 2006. They are to get fit and take risks. I might look alright on the outside but I'm rotting on the inside. I'd hate to see the state my muscles and bones are in. You know that saying think outside the square you live in? Well I stand firmly grounded right in the middle of that square, just where the two diagonals intersect. Boring much.

Wish me luck, I'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment