Wednesday 17 December 2014

How to spend all day on a bus, multiple days a week

21 days in Colombia. Sounds like a reasonable amount of time.

That is, until you subtract the number of hours, which add up to a number of days, spent doing nothing but driving from point A to point B.

We spend the equivalent of whole working days, sometimes even longer, sitting on our asses, alternating between screens: iPhone screens, iPod screens, iPad screens, and kindle screens.

Sometimes we even kick it old school by looking out the window screen, a hard-copy novel or PC laptop.

To pass the time I've read 3 novels in 3 weeks - which I would never have had the time for as an employed person.

Other people take it as an excuse opportunity for binging on movies and TV series. So if I suddenly stop blogging, it's probably because I've succumbed to watching Game of Thrones. I've watched the first episode and still have yet to feign any interest.

Our hybrid travel bus/truck vehicle has two built-in tables on which the crew will sometimes play card games, although I am so sensitive to motion-sickness I do everyone a favour by sitting out.

Combined with winding roads, dirt roads, one-way bridges, roadwork and traffic - it's not hard for ETAs to become stretched and re-stretched.

But it was worth it.

The old towns are so picture-perfect I often felt like I was on a movie set. Its colours leak into the neighbourhoods: houses with cement walls have exterior coats of unabashed fluorescent pink, lime green and taxi cab yellow.


I'm putting this charmer of a country on my list of favourites :)














No comments:

Post a Comment