Saturday 2 June 2012

Never been Kept

I've never been with the kind of guy who bought me things (fast food meals notwithstanding). As nice as I think it would be to be excessively showered with expensive presents - I can't help but equate it with a proportionate level of insanity. Possessiveness, to be exact.

Hypothetically, I think a part of me would feel obligated to stay with him. I'd feel bought out, literally.

I mean, it's all fun and games when the money's not yours. But is he really the kind of guy you'd want to share a bank account with? And what kind of shit values would he impart on your future children?

I once knew a person who complained about her boyfriend only ever buying her 'cheap' jewellery from Angus & Coote. "He never buys me anything from Tiffany & Co.," she puffed.

And here I am cheering when a guy buys me a drink. Which again, is still never.

To equate how much someone feels for you through material things, I think signals some definite insecurity issues.

Or maybe this belief in myself is really a defense mechanism against the fact that I've just never been worth it. Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. Some girls love presents while other girls love simply quality time. It really depends on the personality of the girl. Have a read of the 5 Love Languages in a relationship: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/learn-the-languages/the-five-love-languages/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were at the bar more I would buy you a drink... in fact, I remember you turned down my drink offer once!!! :P

    But yes, I agree that the need (in both sexes) to require a physical transaction of material objects to show appreciation and worthiness is a shallow form of affection and love. You're sharing possessions, not yourself (that deeper emotional and spiritual self).

    Yes, there is a time and place for gift giving. Such as:
    - For a need, such as a laptop when their other one breaks down
    - To suit a mood, such as flowers when a family member passes
    - To reflect someones personality, such as an addition to their random collection of stuff or their favorite movie
    - Anniversaries, Birthdays and Christmas

    But this viewpoint could stem from the fact that I am an Engineer, the most unromantic of all the degrees.... :D

    ReplyDelete