Friday 5 November 2010

Just let me put my dick on

I've been working on the retail side of a telecommunications company for about five months now.

After having worked in clothing for so long, I started this job feeling positive and up for a new challenge. I've come from talking about brands, materials, fits and accessories to megabits, megapixels and gigabytes. I'm getting my head around what feels like a million different computer systems.

Although I love the people I work with, a few customers are the ones making me feel like I don't belong.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried explaining company protocol, business rules and procedures to a dissatisfied male customer.

You won't believe how often they don't believe me.

You won't believe how many times I've had to 'double check' with a male colleague for their satisfaction, only to have him say the exact same thing.

You won't believe how many times their word was taken over mine.

In this day and age you're either submissive and feminine or assertive and a dike.

The next time you expect to be served by a guy, only to get served by a girl instead, understand that she is there by virtue. Understand that she went through the exact same application process as the others and was still the better person for the job. You should be admiring her, not putting her down.

For as long as there are gender biased people there will be gender based occupations.

Love, Noeline
xox

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I remember being in a woodwork class once and I asked around if anyone needed help..the students automatically thought I didn't know anything about the subject cause I was a female teacher and they asked "Miss you actually know what to do?" *insert bulging eyes* --"

    here's to hoping it'll change aye =)

    ReplyDelete