Monday 2 November 2009

Mummy, what’s a bump-and-grind?

There comes a time in everyone’s life when they suddenly find themselves detached from popular culture, forcing one to contemplate whether or not they’re getting old.

That moment came to me a couple of nights ago. It’s not that I got excited about a Spotlight sale, nor was I contemplating about throwing a Tupperware party - I was at an inner city Hip-Hop and R&B club for my friend’s 20th birthday.

Some of the songs I didn’t know at all. Most of the songs I remember NOT downloading because, and to use this term loosely, they sounded gay. Everything sounded like it was produced by ABC’s Playschool, featuring Big Ted.

And there I was, caught between rips of people who seemed not to notice a thing.

For obvious reasons, a friend I call my soul mate felt the exact same way. In between Akon songs gone wrong (and of that there was ten too many), we lamented over where all the good Hip-Hop and R&B had disappeared to (the one's we grew up listening too anyway). Lil Jon, Jay-Z, The Ying Yang Twins, Fatman Scoop, Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent and Ludacris were nowhere to be seen, or should I say heard.

If you know where all the good R&B's gone, holla.

Love, Noeline
xox

2 comments:

  1. Hey gurl i nominated u for an award
    check it out on my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://djweetart.com

    rnb is dead.
    hip-hop died in the 90s.

    replaced with auto-tune, that passed as "music" targeting the squeeling-schoolgirl demographic and guess what? Everyone supports it. We only have ourselves to blame.

    ReplyDelete