Saturday 7 October 2006

Relationship Ghosts

Hello Blogosphere! I feel like a bear fresh out of hibernation. In between my part time job, reading the Everest of books assigned to us for English extension, being charged for offences of excessive phone usage by Officer Mum, hanging out with friends and watching five consecutive episodes of Sex & the City with my boyfriend, I have longed to dispel my thoughts into an entry just like a deer pants for the water.

I've been monogamously loyal to one dick for a whole year. To me, couples who had been together for more than six months held the same ranks as superheroes, magicians and those super-flexible super-humans on cirque-du-soleil. I thought that to hold a relationship for that long required a showbag of x-ray vision, the pulling of a rabbit out of a hat and working your way across a suspended rope on a unicycle. And now that I can FINALLY speak from experience, I know it does.

You do, after all, need to be a bit of a superhero. It takes a superhero to pull her back when you're both out in public because she's too busy talking to realise where she's going. It takes a superhero to ask her back when she's walked out on the relationship completely. It takes a superhero to remember what days she works, what time she starts walking to the bus stop, what time she wakes up and what time she has dinner… even the time she's to expect her next period. It takes a superhero to know how she's feeling just by the tone of her voice, at times with a tendency to ridiculously over read into things.

You do, after all, need to be a bit of a magician. With a trick up your sleeve to bring a smile to their dial. May it be calling her on the house phone and mobile phone at the same time giving the illusion that your voice is echoing (ok, so I find it funny, so what?!). Or dancing to the opening credits of her favourite soapie before it starts – if you call swinging her around until she's out of breath and shouting incoherent ramblings dancing. I believe the best tricks are those that never die, no matter how many times they're performed.

You do, after all, need to be a super-flexible super-human. It requires swallowing a knife for every time you take in information that hurts – about their past, about their thoughts, about their feelings. It requires jumping through a hoop of fire for every time you take a risk – like giving them a chance against all odds, and against everything you stand for. It requires riding a unicycle across a tightrope for every time you balance each other out, for every time you agree to disagree.

I'm now part of the super-flexible-magicians club.

RANDOMLY ABOVE: Long story =)

Although not married (due to reasons of circumstance) I am in a de-facto relationship with my Sex & the City DVD's. Three cheers to mother dearest for the birthday gift.

Old lovers, ex boyfriends, anyone you have unresolved issues with… When a relationship dies, do we ever really give up the ghost? Or are we forever haunted by our relationship past? - Sex & the City


I think everyone is entitled to their past. But to what extent are they allowed to determine the now? The now feelings. The now girlfriend. The now relationship. I ask because I'm definitely not in the know, if anything I'm in the think.

So maybe I'm too nice, but I believe it's to the discretion of the couple. NOT the discretion of how they deal with it on The OC or Home & Away.

Remember when you first started sleeping on your own? The bed was either too high or too big, and the darkness left you vulnerable to ghosts and monsters. I remember thinking that there was always a man staring at me from the darkest corner of my room, and that my brother's Hercules action figurine would move its arm by itself. But after many sleepless nights, I learned to distinguish between my imagination and reality.

But then there are people who need the comfort of someone else to be their Sandman, the means of a good night and the means of any sweet dreams.

Should relationship ghosts be any different? I know where I stand may I be hypothetically single, in a relationship or cheating. Is it bad that unlike myself, others need a new partner to know where they're at?

In a world where you can date without sex, screw without dating, and in the end, keep most of your sex partners as friends long after a relationship is over, what really defines a relationship?... Maybe… what ultimately defines a relationship is another relationship - Sex & the City


Someone told me that you never really 'get over' someone until you surpass and outdo your last one. For example, you never really get over the girl who kissed you on the cheek and made you blush, until another girl kisses you on the mouth and gives you a boner. You never really get over the girl you loved until you love another more.

But then again, isn't that the mentality that's made relationships the game it is today? A continuous competition of the now partners trying to outdo the relationship ghosts.

You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment